8/21 – Producing the BHP Full Time, a Proposal

Home Forums Announcements 8/21 – Producing the BHP Full Time, a Proposal

This topic contains 21 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Jamie
    Keymaster

Please have a listen to the latest episode.  I'd really like to work full time for you.

Cameltoedunum
    Participant

“Does the world really need another Lawyer?”Did you ask yourself that question before you went to law school? ;D

Jamie
    Keymaster

Hahaha!

Logically_Lottie
    Participant

Have you thought about becoming an educator? You would make one awesome teacher. It wouldn't take up as much time as law, and you'd get to have some of the same social interactions. Anddopodcaststill*cough ;)

Jamie
    Keymaster

Actually, I have.  But I would need to go back to school to get my masters (or more realistically, my PhD).  Heh.  Apparently, I'm addicted to degrees (and debt).I looked at it pretty closely, and I have a number of friends who are teachers.  And the resounding response I've gotten is that I would never be allowed to teach the way I teach here and that would drive me crazy.  Honestly, I love doing this and I really think it's possible that it could be done full time.  Fingers crossed!

Logically_Lottie
    Participant

Aw, rats. That's awful they don't let you teach the way you want.  Luckily for us though, you are already our educator.Fingers crossed for you.  :)

Roman I
    Participant

Jamie, maybe you should try Kickstarter to raise more money?

anonymous
    Participant

Jamie,A couple of questions/thoughts:1.  You mention your numbers to make this doable for you but I didn't hear a deadline or timeline.  Is there a "drop dead" date; that is a date by which you need the 150 new members?  People sometimes respond to a deadline.2.  Could you seek out sponsors/advertisers or some kind of small business loan?  Basically, what kind of cash options could you tap into vs strictly members only donations?3.  I am thinking of the NPR model.  Many NPR stations connect to a university or college and then get money from members, the government (as long as that holds out) and day sponsorships/business infusion.  Would one of the local colleges in the Portland area be willing to give some kind of donation to sponsor something that would jive with what they were doing?    4.  You might explore ideas of having members sponsor more than just an episode.  For example, if someone has a particular interest in a bigger topic than one podcast they might think of giving more money (you might even set a suggested amount) for a series (some aspect of the Tudors, for example, would get me to pony up money for a series vs. just one podcast).I am a psychologist, not an economist, so am not sure how best to raise the kind of money you would need to make what you do a career vs. a hobby.  I think what you offer is very valuable.  Being able to do what you love vs. what you have to do to make money is a no brainer except when it comes to living the kind of life that allows you to eat, live and travel as you would like.Hope this helps.Laura 

Jamie
    Keymaster

Hi Laura,So on Deadlines, I've thought about this quite a bit and I have some flexibility with the firm on when to decide what I want to do.  But I think I really need to give them an answer within a month.  So lets say one month.  That being said, my birthday is coming up on Tuesday and it would be a super awesome present if I could get hired by the podcast by then. :)With regard to small business loans, the problem is that I'm trying a largely untested model here.  No banks are going to want to back it because they'll rightly be asking "show us an example of where this has worked."  And the problem is that conventional wisdom is that you can't make a job out of podcasting.  I think we can prove that wrong, but banks typically don't fund aspirations.  ;)As for advertising, I don't want to clutter up my episodes with a bunch of ads.  In fact, my opening and closing are still a bit too long for my taste.  So adding to that something where I'm shilling for another company could very easily tip it over into an area where I start getting negative reviews and complaints.  Besides, I don't know of anyone who advertises on a podcast and is able to podcast full time as a result.  The returns are typically pretty low.  So my thought is that we need to get to the point where I can devote my time to doing this all the time and produce a really good product.  That's the idea of this fund raiser, we just need this project to make enough to keep the lights on while I bust my ass.  The hope is that if all the extra time and hard work pays off, we will be able to get 1,000 true fans to back the project eventually.  And then we will have proven the conventional wisdom wrong, and that Podcasting is not just an important medium but also something that is more than simply a hobby.  It's legitimate and should be treated as such.  Funny you should mention the NPR model.  That's sort of what I have in mind.  Except rather than doing a yearly fundraiser, I'm just trying to kickstart this experiment and then hopefully I'll do a good enough job that 1) the podcast will retain most of the members and 2) other people will want to be a part of this.  Ultimately, I don't want this to be just something you're buying, but rather it should be an experiment we're all a part of.  (I know, I'm huge hippy.  Heh).As for businesses supporting it, they typically want a return on investment.  And the problem is I have worldwide listeners from a wide variety of backgrounds.  There isn't much of a business advantage to sponsoring because why would someone in Nottingham care whether or not a firm in Portland backed a podcast.  You know?  But I don't want you to think that I'm dumping all over your ideas.  They're great and you've clearly put a lot of thought into it.  I can tell, because I've thought about this a bunch and I had pretty much the same ideas as well.  Hehe.  I'm just explaining why I am going the route I am (and hoping it works out). The idea of having a specific series sponsored is an interesting one.  The only time I've ever done anything like that was the Scotcast for Ewan and it wasn't really sponsored, it was just that I'm a softie and want to keep kids interested in history.  ;)  Also, it was a great idea.  But the truth of it is (and this is bad business to be admitting this) if I think something is a great idea I'll probably cover it regardless.  No bribery is needed.  I'm a huge nerd and love to talk about cool stuff.  So, as an example, when a listener asked me to talk about travel I thought "That's a great idea!" and Travels with Cerdic was born.  ;)And like you, I'm not an economist, so I'm sure I'm making plenty of mistakes here.  I'm just sort of hoping that people will value this enough to want to be a part of the project, regardless of my business mistakes.  ;)  And as a side note, now that I know you're a psychologist I'm wondering exactly what all of this tells you about my personality.  Hehe.Anyway, thank you!  You've been a great help and I really appreciate the fact that you want to find ways to support the project.  That means a great deal to me!Jamie

Melissa N-S
    Participant

I became a “member” today for this very reason.  I listen to several different historical podcasts and yours is by far the most enjoyable (while being educational) one out there.  Good job Jamie and please keep up the great work?Thanks!!

Andrew Edwards
    Participant

Likewise, after being a listener for the past few months, I ponied up and became a member after hearing Jamie's intention of doing the podcast full time. I can't imagine much else more worthwhile to support.

Anonymous

Hi Jamie,I read your reply to Laura, and I had some toughs.First because my Dutch background I would like to contribute to the episode about de Anglo-Dutch sea wars. (I do count on a favorable outcome this time, for the Dutch, I mean ;)I can imagine that there are more members with a specific interest who want to contribute for special episodes.Second I think that there may be companies with a similar interest. How cool it would be when British Mail presents al her employs with a Jamie Jeffers Podcast on CD for Xmas with the history of there company on it. It would make a great, and very modern, gift for an ancient company with a lot of history. Moreover I would (some time after Xmas) as a ordinary listener also be interested. I think this would apply for almost every institute with a history link in some way. New opportunities wil appearJamie, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It worked for me and you got me out of my inactiveness. New ideas need new methods, and I think the crowd will support you in one way or the other.All the best with the project.Hugo_NL

Jamie
    Keymaster

Once I'm doing moving (we're moving this week) I'll talk this over with Melissa and a few friends.  Thanks for the ideas.  :)

anonymous
    Participant

Now that you're our employee, will you do windows?  (seriously, I expect you and Melissa have factored benefits in?  I expect you need more members than 150!  Health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, 401K. . .)

Jamie
    Keymaster

This is a kickstart position, simply enough to treadwater.  The hope is that by doing this full time I will be able to do more member stuff, which will entice more people to sign up, which will eventually get me to a place where I'm making a living wage.  :)I believe in this project, so I didn't want to ask for people to pledge enough for me to do ok.  I just wanted enough to be able to put this into gear and see where it takes me.  And hopefully people value it enough, and I put out enough extra material, that other members will join up.That's the idea, anyway.Make sense?

anonymous
    Participant

I am very “psyched” for you (pun intended, I guess)!  I agree with Carol, though, you need to make a bit more than a living wage, especially in Portland.  I know that the cost of living is rather high in the Northwest.  What you offer is very valuable, but you need to be adequately compensated for what you do.Congrats, again!

anonymous
    Participant

It does make sense, but in life five years is actually a big segment.  When you're done with this project, where does that lead?  I hope you're thinking of compiling the podcasts into a book and that you're already talking to publishers, for example.    I'm at the endgame of my career and I'm glad I listened to my elders who kept saying, “think about retirement now!”  If you haven't read The Ascent of Man, you may wish to do it now.  It's podcasts for the pre-podcast era.  The book and the television series did well for its author.  Maybe a deal with NPR or BBC?  You have enough podcasts in the can that they might want to pick it up.

Jack
    Participant

Like a few others have said here, I have become a member recently because I have been enjoying the podcasts and want to support this project. Having only discovered the podcast a month or so ago, I'm a bit behind on the podcasts and the fulltime job situation. The reason that I started listening to the podcast was that I am going to be visiting Great Britain in October and wanted to know more of the history before going. One of the consequences of listening to the podcast is that I have added the Orkneys to the itinerary (because everything cool is on the Orkneys). I've been spending a fair bit of time on the Scottish and English Heritage websites finding out information on places to go.My suggestion then for funding working fulltime on the podcast is to work with various organisations that have a connection to tourism. Perhaps tourism boards for various areas would sponsor a podcast specifically on the history of their area. "The British History Podcast guide to everything cool on the Orkneys". Sponsorship could be in the form of a once only payment for the podcast or a smaller amount paid for each download of the podcast. A series of podcasts could be produced for the Heritage organisations as "enticements" for people to visit the various sites they are responsible for or as audio guides for the sites. Of course, for these organisations they already have audio tour guides available at some sites however the podcasts could cover those sites that are unattended or could provide a cheaper option ("audio guides are available for hire at the venue for 5 pounds or download the podcast for only 1 pound 50").How about a smartphone app that reads the location from the phones GPS and then downloads a short piece on the historical interest of the location or general area? "Hi, my name is Jamie. You at at Vindolanda...." or "Hi, my name is Jamie. Nothing interesting happened here but just down the road is where...". Perhaps a start on this could be align with the blue plaque things they have around London.I noticed a few posts that raised the issue of making a living, saving for retirement etc? I agree these are important things to be considered and is something I had thought when I first heard Jamie mention doing the podcast full time. What happens when the podcast gets to today? Does Jamie have to then resort to reading the UK papers for the podcast? This would be bad because I will fall asleep while listening and I listen to the podcast while driving. Instead, perhaps BHP becomes WHP. Yes, there are other podcasts that cover history but do they have Jamie's awesomeness in doing so? I think not.

anonymous
    Participant

Ah go ahead and do the PhD! I am in the middle of a program myself! I highly recommend a British PhD based on the Cambridge system. It is 100% research and writing, no class work. You do not have to be a resident. I am a student at University of Manchester. Look at the PhD programs at http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/. European universities cost about 1/2 as much as American ones too. And I bet you could find a college that would let you teach the way you do on the podcast.

anonymous
    Participant

Hi Jamie, I'm just curious how member retention has been?  How many members are we up to now!?I find the show still as cool as when I started listening to it.  I'm a bit more of a Rome fan, but I've become more interest in this period from the podcast.

anonymous
    Participant

Kickstarter is definatly the way to go. I listen to a podcast replayed to a card game made by a company in your part of the world. The main presenter has crowd funded the program and it basically pays his rent and any other bills such as health insurance and food. If the product is good enough then people will donate to it. I think the product is definatly good enough. I would definatly put some deep thought into the stretch goals however. If you would like more info on the other podcast then send me a mail. The presenter is very happy to answer emails.

Anonymous

I love the idea! I really would “pony up” and support, but how much can twenty dollars give me at $2.99 a month? also, can i send all the money ahead of time? If I can convince my parent,and if it's a yes to the latter, I will support! 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

jQuery('.testimonials-widget-testimonials17')