6/1 – Dark Age Drunks is live!

Home Forums Announcements 6/1 – Dark Age Drunks is live!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Paul C 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Jamie
    Keymaster

It's on the main feed.  The rough transcript should be live in the member section in a minute, too.

anonymous
    Participant

Great podcast, as usual, Jamie.  I found a few things you mentioned (the bawdy riddles, public drinking establishments and overall violent nature of the drunken Danes) have appeared in the book club book (The Last Kingdom).  I love tie-ins like that.  One question I had; you mentioned that women appear to be the ones that made the ale and mead, but do we have stories of drunken women?  You talked of the women who served as cup bearers to the kings, but I was curious if in your research you came across stories of drunken women.  We have to assume they were drinking ale and mead, etc., too, if the level of production was as high as you report.  It often disappoints me that in history we get far fewer stories of women's exploits than men.  I know that can be for so many reasons (less focus on women, less opportunities for them, more time women spent doing things to support men, etc).  I like to try to get glimpses of regular women doing whatever it is they did in a particular historical period.

Jamie
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the sources we have are few and far between, and also rather sparse in their own right.  For example, we have to rely on things like the story of the Abbot, or Beowulf, or Hardacnut (who wasn't Anglo Saxon himself) in order to try to sketch out a rough image of what life might have been like. My suspicion is that the women were probably drinking like champs, much like the men were.  However, we don't really have sources to affirmatively support it.  For example, we don't have Alcuin talking about the nunneries being houses of drunken debauchery.  ;)

anonymous
    Participant

I figured we wouldn't have much information on women's drinking in the Dark Ages, but I guess I was hoping you might have come across something in your research.

Barry
    Participant

Great Podcast, but it's left me a little disappointed.  Mostly because it marks the point where I've caught up with the Podcast and now have no new episodes to listen to until the next one is released.  Now I'll be stuck reading or something on the train to work.Joking aside it was another interesting and informative Podcast that left me pondering my own ability to try making ale or mead, although from what I hear it may not be the best of plans.On a completely different note, in no way really linked to Britain I have to say thanks for including Optimus Prime and the Touch.  I was half asleep on the way to work this morning but by the time I got off the train I was singing along to Stan Bush, and getting some odd looks from passers by.  So if nothing else I thank you for the 80's nostalgia.

Jamie
    Keymaster

Haha, Jim and I were singing it for the rest of the day. :)

Barry
    Participant

I think you should make it your new challenge to fit a song from Transformers the Movie into every new podcast until you've used them all up.

anonymous
    Participant

I've enjoyed these a lot, and learned a lot. I do wonder if you will cover the role of drink as part of the culture of the warrior in the Dark Ages and the Anglo Saxon epics, plus how drink affected battles, and whether you think it contributed to the violence of the period, or if you think that actually the muslims show that the period was violent irrespective of the drink.

Chris
    Participant

This was an interesting subject to begin with so you were always going to be on a winner here Jamie. Great episode that was quite enlightening. It reminded me of watching a Time Team a few years ago and they were making their own ale. It was interesting to watch, especially as Phil Harding tastes the product of the first mash. Its strength was something equivalent to about 10% (maybe more, could be less I don't remember) then the brewer explained that when the mash was used a second time the strength was about 6-8% and a third time it was about 3-4%. How they used the ales was something along the lines of:1. The strong stuff is what would be drunk for a typical night on the town getting sloshed and having a good time and maybe having a good old-fashioned punch up to relieve some pent-up aggression;2. The 2nd strength and slightly weaker ale was like a general and weaker table beer that the women could drink (but still stronger than the average beer we have today);3. The 3rd strength was even weaker and was typically for the children.The mash was no longer usable after its third use. 

donknutson
    Participant

I'm sure they all died early of liver disease!

Paul C
    Participant

EVerybody, firt post, EVER, but just wanted to share; yesterday BBC Radio 4 programme In Our Time – (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iot) discussed Druids. This series of programmes is fantastic and well worth listening to whilst we wait for Jamies next programme. Enjoy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

jQuery('.testimonials-widget-testimonials17')