5/18 – Was There an Anglo Saxon Invasion?

Home Forums Announcements 5/18 – Was There an Anglo Saxon Invasion?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Jamie
    Keymaster

The new episode is live!  Update those feeds.  :)Also, the rough transcript is up on the Members Board!

Digital Unicorn
    Participant

Great show Jamie, really enkoyed this week, back into the swing of things.A lot of what you were saying about the difficulties of archaeology really rang true with me. I have endless problems with scarcity of sources with my research into the near east. There are just entire civilizations we know nothing about other than a few monuments and victory steeles. Look at Persia, people in the west don't feel the cultural or religious affinity that we do with the Greeks, Romans and Jews. Those empires shaped the world we live in, so those digs and sites get the funding, yet the greatest, largest and most stable of all the near eastern empire barely gets a cursary glance, digs just don't get funding, its madness. The only way we can track persias military action on its eastern border is by comparing scant court documents and the lists of provinces they state are under the empires control.

Chris
    Participant

Really enjoyed the episode Jamie. Great to hear your sarcasm in full swing….amusing to say the least but you pick up some very interesting points and I like the way you back your claims using other sources from mainland Europe. The whole invasion/migration theory, in my humble opinion, will never be answered for the simple fact that we have no hard evidence in the form of the primary sources we so desperately need and so we can only go on what we, as individuals, believe to be true based on what we have: conflicting texts written many years after the fact.Your points about Saxon burials that we know of, or rather the lack of Saxon burials in general, in the fifth century and how this increases over a period of time is interesting for the migration theory. I will have to listen to the episode again but I am favouring the invasion/migration as one event that is drawn out over a much greater period of time where the former almost follows the later as a simple, yet natural progression as the two peoples eventually mix. I did notice your lengthy debate with Howard in the topic 'Badon, Ambrosius, and Arthur' and it just goes to show how we, as individuals, interpret the information we have before us. However, the fact remains, and I know this is pessimistic, but we will never know for sure. I just wish someone would say 'this is how it happened.....' and tell me in great and exact detail what really happened during this period in this country's fascinating and turbulent history. Never going to happen though  :-Anyway, great episode  :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

jQuery('.testimonials-widget-testimonials17')